Magento vs PrestaShop Comparison for Security, SEO and Performance
One of the most significant decisions to take before launching an online store is to choose the ideal e-Commerce platform. There are numerous options for the decision on the ideal e-commerce platform and you will usually have to compare features and match them with your needs and expectations before deciding.
Magento and PrestaShop are ideal platforms for ecommerce and the reality about them is that only one can be used on a store at any point. So, a thorough comparison between Magento vs PrestaShop would be helpful in taking the most essential decision especially when starting a new business and place your business in a position to mae it scalable in the long run.
Whichever eCommerce platform you choose for your online store it should have the qualities to engage your customers and provide them with a smooth online experience, which in turn gradually boost your sales. Therefore, analyzing Magento vs PrestaShop before settling for one of them will definitely help you choose the best and ideal platform for your store.
Among various thriving platforms in the market, people often compare these two most promising platforms to single out the one that is best aligned with their needs. PrestaShop and Magento are two strong preferences carrying their own set of merits and demerits. It‘s absolutely important to delve into both the CMSs thoroughly before you start working with any of them.
Let’s now begin the comparison between Magento vs PrestaShop and have a closer look at how they compete against each other.
Magento vs PrestaShop Comparison Table
|One-click Installation availability||Yes||No|
|Ease of Use||You need technical skills to run a Magento store.||It doesn’t require you to be technically proficient to run a successful PrestaShop store.|
|Free Trial||30 days free trial||15 days free trial|
|Best suited for||Large enterprises||Small and medium enterprises|
|Pricing||OpenSource Community Edition
and a paid version
|OpenSource Community Edition
and Cloud-based eCommerce system
Magento and PrestaShop both are open-source eCommerce platforms which can be customized in many ways. However, Magento requires you to be technically proficient to build a powerful eCommerce website as Magento is more complex as compared to PrestaShop. It is considered one of the most flexible platforms with unlimited possibilities for tech-savvy people. In order to design website for both of these ecommerce solutions this dynamic Ecommerce website builder is a quick solution.
Also read:Top Nigerian Website Payment Gateways
Whereas, PrestaShop is quite a beginner-friendly platform. The convenient and intuitive admin panel makes it easy to work with PrestaShop. You can quite easily customize a PrestaShop website as compared to the Magento website. PrestaShop is incredibly simple to use and lets you manage your website with ease. And using a robust website builder will make the entire process a breeze.
Magento vs PrestaShop: Functionality
Well, both the platforms provide you with amazing functionality to launch and manage a powerful online store. But it makes sense to choose a system that caters to your needs instead of choosing something based on popularity. PrestaShop help you establish a great image in the market with a strong eCommerce website but how you would maintain that image depends on your products and services. PrestaShop is a complete solution that doesn’t require any additional modules to work. Also, you can easily create a PrestaShop theme with TemplateToaster website maker.
Also read: How to Combat Credit Card Fraud
On the other hand, Magento has a wonderful feature called Multiple Websites Development. This feature lets you manage your multiple websites from a single panel. Now that’s absolutely a Wow Feature! Merchants who run multiple websites would look nowhere else than Magento when they’re being served with this excellent feature.
Simplicity and convenience at its best. Having said that, other overwhelming features of Magento like automatic email marketing reminder, analytics & reporting, private sales, reward points, gifting options, store credits & multiple wish lists, persistent shopping, return management authorization, etc. will give you next level satisfaction for sure. You can read this article if you want to design the Front End of your Magento website and are searchnig a way to create a Magento theme from scratch flawlessly.
Magento vs PrestaShop: Pricing
Both the platforms are open source and free to use. PrestaShop is free to download and use but you will have to pay for the web hosting if you go for their one click hosted solution. It offers two editions:
You need to have several charged modules and a responsive template in order to run a complete PrestaShop website. In fact, you can easily install PrestaShop yourself.
Whereas, Magento is somewhat an expensive option as compared to PrestaShop. Undoubtedly Magento provides some unmatchable functionality. That has no other alternative in the eCommerce world. In addition to an Open Source Community Edition there are two enterprise packages available to choose from.
Magento Commerce Pro and Magento Commerce Starter. And both have different pricing. However, you can test Magento by taking a 30-days free trial.
Magento vs PrestaShop: Security
PrestaShop and Magento both are totally secure platforms to work with. Nonetheless, security is a critical aspect of any website. And if talk about multiple accounts for multiple sites that can sometimes lead to vulnerability. And if you ever come across any attack on your eCommerce website that can badly affect your sales and traffic. I am sure nobody would ever take that chance. Because generally online stores deal with huge sensitive data.
Magento and PrestaShop both have excellent security measures to provide complete safety for data. Since both are opensource platforms so, they are constantly developing and taken care of, so no unwanted attacks should destroy the user experience. And talking about Magento precisely, it is a feature-rich platform that allows you to install robust plugins. Thus, it gives you incredible eCommerce security.
Magento vs PrestaShop: Performance
Since PrestaShop and Magento both are self-hosted platforms so, the performance solely depends on the hosting you are using for your website. The key to a high-performance website is the right provider with the right plan. Magento is a highly scalable platform. If you are having a good amount of traffic to your Magento store then you don’t have to worry about the performance because Magento does it all. Magento is a great option to handle larger projects with ease. Always keep this Magento performance optimization guide handy to get the most of it.
Talking about PrestaShop, it also delivers satisfactory results when it comes to performance. It’s been designed in such a way that it can easily handle the server’s resources and gives you great performance.
Magento vs PrestaShop: SEO
If you wish to attract more traffic to your online store then you need to pay attention to your store’s search engine optimization. Nowadays the essential feature that can give you higher ranking in search results is the responsive nature of your website. Other factors like relevant backlinking and page load speed are also important but responsiveness is the most desirable features among all. Google algorithm monitors whether a website is responsive (mobile-friendly) or not. And if your website is not responsive then it will not appear in the top search results launched from mobile devices.
Like PrestaShop Magento has an incredibly simple interface to use and it always has been responsive. Magento comes with a wide range of SEO capabilities.
However, PrestaShop also has sufficient SEO functionalities to offer you such as automated URL rewriting, dedicated SEO content sections for products, premium SEO module etc. and assure a complete SEO friendly online store.
Magento vs PrestaShop: Support
Being open source platforms the support for both platforms comes from the communities they support. And both PrestaShop and Magento have a large number of followers, who are constantly contributing to help others with their problems. Although Magento pro has guaranteed 24/7 customer assistance. You can get the assistance from your account by opening a support ticket. You can also refer to the Magento documentation for any further knowledge. Magento has whooping 14.59% of market share among CMSes and those who are already working with Magento 2.0 already know how brilliantly it works.
In addition to Community assistance PrestaShop has unmatchable support to offer you. The only thing that can be a little disturbing is that it offers you paid assistance. Yes! It is chargeable. The PrestaShop advisors will help you select the appropriate support pack according to your needs.
So, who’s better in the PrestaShop vs Magento comparison for your online store?
Before I sum up the comparison between Magento vs PrestaShop, let’s summarize what’s good about both eCommerce platforms. However, both the options are the winners in the eCommerce market just their deployment may vary with the project size. So, who should use PrestaShop? Well, the medium size enterprises who have no plans to scale up any soon may find PrestaShop a better option. It is a relatively cost-effective eCommerce platform. And who should choose Magento then? For the big businesses that seek an advanced web store with complete control in hand and great customization options. Usually, medium to large scale enterprises finds Magento a great solution for their online store.
This brings us to the end of this post, and before you opt any of the two, make sure you take the free demo available with both of them and check their service quality in advance. And selecting which will serve you best will depend on your business needs and growth plans. You must remember that more technical expertise is required to install Magento while even a novice can use PrestaShop without any hassle. However, the criteria to choose the best eCommerce platform remain the same i.e. your requirements and budget. You may also like to test TemplateToaster web design software create beautiful themes for your online store in no time.
Features of Magento Open Source
- Marketing, Promotions and Conversion Tools
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Site Management
- Catalog Management
- Catalog Browsing
- Product Browsing
- Checkout, Payment and Shipping
- Order Management
- Customer Accounts
- Customer Service
- International Support
- Analytics and Reporting
- Mobile Commerce
Below is a complete list of Magento Open Source features:
Marketing, Promotions and Conversion Tools
• Related products, up-sells and cross-sells
• Catalog promotional pricing with the ability to restrict to stores, categories or products
• Flexible coupons (pricing rules) with ability to restrict to stores, customer groups, time period, products, and categories
• Generate a set of unique coupon codes for each promotion and export the list of codes for offline distribution, email, newsletters and more. Easily manage and monitor coupon usage and generate detailed reports
• Multi-tier pricing for quantity discounts
• Minimum Advertised Price (MAP)
• Landing page for categories
• Customer groups
• Product bundles
• Recently viewed and compared products
• New items promotional tool
• Persistent shopping cart
• Free shipping options
• Newsletter management
• Send to a friend for all visitors or registered users only
• Send wish lists by email
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
• 100% search engine friendly
• Google Site Map
• Search engine friendly URL’s
• URL rewrites give full control of URL’s
• Meta-information for products, categories and content pages
• Auto-generated site map for display on site
• Auto-generated popular search terms page
• Google Content API for shopping
• Control multiple websites and stores from one Administration Panel with the ability to share as much or as little information as needed
• Administration permission system roles and users
• Fully 100% customizable design using templates
• Support for multiple languages and currencies. Web Services API for easy integration between Magento and third-party applications
• Batch import and export of catalog and customer information
• Content Management System for informational and landing pages
• Tax rates per location, product type or customer group (i.e. wholesale vs. retailer)
• CAPTCHA functionality to help prevent automated software from attempting fake logins. This auto-generated test ensures that the login is being attempted by a person and can be enabled in both the admin and customer login areas
• Simple, configurable (e.g. size, color, etc.), bundled and grouped products
• Create diﬀerent price points for diﬀerent customer groups, such as wholesalers and retailers
• Virtual products
• Downloadable/digital products with samples
• Unlimited product attributes
• Attribute sets for quick product creation of diﬀerent item types
• Inventory management with backordered items, minimum and maximum quantities
• Batch updates to products in admin panel
• Automatic image resizing and watermarking
• Advanced pricing rules and support for special prices
• Search results rewrites and redirects
• Moderated product tags and reviews
• Customer personalized products – ability to upload images and text (i.e. for embroidery, monogramming, etc.)
• Customer sorting – defne attributes for customer sorting on category (price, brand, etc.)
• RSS feed for low inventory alerts
• Layered / faceted navigation for filtering of products in categories and search results
– Filter products by price and display a range of prices based on even increments or by a similar number of products within each range
• Static block tool to create category landing pages
• Product comparisons with history
• Configurable search with auto-suggested terms
• Ability to assign designs within category and product level (unique design per product/category)
• Recently viewed products
• Popular search terms cloud
• Product listing in grid or list format
• Multiple images per product
• Product image zoom-in capability
• Related products and upsell
• Stock availability
• Multi-tier pricing upsell
• Product option selection
• Grouped products view
• Add to wish list
• Send to a friend with email
• Share on Facebook
Checkout, Payment and Shipping
• One-page checkout
• Guest checkout and checkout with account to use address book
• Shipping to multiple addresses in one order
• Option for account creation at beginning of checkout
• SSL security support for orders on both front-end and back-end
• Saved shopping cart
• Accept gift messages per order and per item
• Shopping cart with tax and shipping estimates
• Saved credit card method for offline payments
• Configurable to authorize and charge, or authorize only and charge on creation of invoices
• Integration with multiple PayPal gateways
• Integration with Authorize.net
• Accept checks/money orders
• Accept purchase orders
• Additional payment extensions available through Magento Connect
• Oﬀer Bill Me Later as a payment option
• Shipping integration with label printing – view, edit, print labels for all major carriers
• Integrated for real-time shipping rates from:
– UPS, UPS XML (account rates), FedEx (account rates), USPS and DHL
• Ability to specify allowed destination countries per method
• Flat rate shipping per order or item
• Free shipping
• Table rates for weight, sub-total, destination and number of items
• On-site order tracking from customer accounts
• View, edit, create and fulfll orders from the admin panel
• Create one or multiple invoices, shipments and credit memos per order to allow for split fulfillment
• Print invoices, packing slips and shipping labels
• Call center (phone) order creation – provides transparent control for administrators and front-end enhancements for customers during the shopping process. Changing product configurations, for all types of products, can be done by the call center sale representative on the admin side as well as by the customer throughout the shopping process. Custom product choices and configurations can be changed directly during order creation, in the wish list and the shopping cart
– Includes the ability to create new customers, or select existing customers and view their shopping cart, wish list, last ordered items, and compared products lists, as well as select addresses, give discounts and assign custom prices
• Assisted Shopping – customer service representatives and other admin users are able to manage products and coupons in customers’ shopping carts and wish lists through the administrator panel
• Customized Order Status – tracking an order is easier than ever with customizable order statuses easily assigned to order states. A predefined list of order states (ex. new, processing, payment review, complete) represents the order processing workﬂow. An order status is assigned as a sub-category of the order state (ex. cancelled, complete, decline)
• Create re-orders for customers from the administration panel
• Email notifications of orders
• RSS feed of new orders
• Account dashboard
• Address book with unlimited addresses
• Wish list with ability to add comments
• Order status and history
• Re-orders from account
• Recently ordered items
• Default billing and shipping addresses
• Email or send RSS feed of wish list
• Newsletter subscription management
• Product reviews submitted
• Product tags submitted
• Downloadable/digital products
• Contact Us form
• Create and edit orders from the admin panel
• Feature-rich customer accounts
• Order history with status updates
• Order tracking from account
• Password reset email from front-end and admin panel
• Order and account update emails
• Customizable transactional emails
• Support for localization, multiple currencies and tax rates
– Includes support for WEEE/DEEE in EU
• Support for accented characters and right-to-left text
• Configurable list of allowed countries for:
– Site registration
– Shipping destination addresses with ability to specify per shipping method
– Billing addresses with ability to specify per payment method
• European Union VAT-ID validation facilitates the tax collection process by automatically applying the correct tax rules according to VAT customer groups
• EU cookie notification simplifies the EU Privacy and Electronic Communications Directive compliance process by displaying an opt-in message at the top of the storefront
Analytics and Reporting
• Integrated with Google Analytics
• Admin dashboard for report overview
• Sales report
• Tax report
• Abandoned shopping cart report
• Best viewed products report
• Best purchased products report
• Low stock report
• Search terms report
• Product reviews report
• Tags report
• Coupon usage report
• Total sales invoiced
• Total sales refunded
Mobile HTML5 (pre-integrated)
• Quickly and easily create a storefront optimized for mobile devices so customers can shop even when they’re on the go. This mobile interface uses HTML5 technology and supports iPhone, Android and Mobile Opera browsers. It includes out-of-the-box features such as:
– Device-specifc media capabilities for audio and video
– User-friendly search and results display
– Clean display of product detail pages
– Pinch, multi-touch and scaling images
– Easy swipe between product images
– Zoom capabilities
– Cross-sell and up-sell capabilities
– Drag-and-drop of products to the shopping cart
• Quickly create a site optimized for any device using an included responsive design reference theme
– Can be easily customized for a fast time to market
– Includes all major ﬂows, product types, and features
– Reduces long-term maintenance costs and eases site updates
– Oﬀers SEO benefits by using Google’s preferred approach to optimizing mobile sites
Native Device Applications
• Support available for native applications on iPhone, iPad, and Android mobile devices
– One admin panel for multiple devices
– Seamless integration with your current product catalog, CMS and store configurations
– Real-time customization including updates for promotions and merchandising
– Support for a wide range of checkout capabilities
Features of Prestashop
Prestashop is undoubtedly one of the most reliable eCommerce solutions introduced for small to medium businesses so far. This open source software is rich with lot of advanced features and custom options. The Prestashop is a dependable platform to run a medium business successfully without much hassles. The major update to the software was introduced with Prestashop 1.7 that overcomes any limitations with the older version and adding in more advanced features. This novel version with a few notable changes in the general configuration has enhanced the overall performance. The version is now released in 7 languages and you can expect more on the go.
Everyone looking to have Prestashop for their new store would be excited to know about the important changes that are brought in. Here you can have a glance at the highlighted features of the Prestashop upgrade.
Enhanced product configuration:
With the new version, the products can be added to your website catalogue in a much better way. In addition to an engaging interface, user can benefit from automatic management, various shortcuts and quick actions. Users can now quickly create a product, digital products or pack of products within a limited time and organize its features and values. The product navigation is improved with quick creation of categories & subcategories.
Refurbished modules page:
The modules can be managed better and a lot easier with the renovated modules page. A tab facility is freshly launched which allows easy viewing of installed modules and options to alter them or even discover novel modules.
Improved back office navigation:
The back office is revived with improved UI/UX and one can now effortlessly browse the website. The main menu is now categorized into 3 different sections which come under Sell, Improve and Configure. The availability of these new tabs let easy navigation between the 3 sections and the modules can be managed better.
The designers need to spend only half of the usual time to create attractive themes with Prestashop 1.7. Just a basic awareness of CSS and HTML is all what needed for the designer to work with these themes easily. The visually light “Classic” theme gives a fresh appearance to your store. In addition, the enhanced product sheet and improvised checkout process makes selling a lot easier.
A template can now be altered without unsettling the source file using the novel Parent/Child themes. The new version also provides a Starter theme which is free of any kind of mark-ups or custom style. This in fact allows execution of a new design in less time.
Introduction of Symfony:
The selected areas of the software can benefit from the introduction of Symphony. The design team can utilize the options of this robust framework to give emphasis to eCommerce specifics in addition to enhancing the Prestashop functionalities. The actions such as managing of orders, handling a cart, calculation of costs and taxes as well as generation of invoices all can be done with good efficiency.
Other features and options:
With Prestashop 1.7, the merchants can now sell customization goods. For this, the store has option to allow specific consumers to upload files related to it. Similarly, a minimal purchase quantity can be set for particular products. You can enable SSL on your store with just a click and configure the shipping methods. The taxes can be configured based on the specific locations. There is a facility to promote certain products by suggesting them to the customers. With the goal of improving customer engagement and minimizing abandonment cart rate, timely communication is assured through sending emails. In the checkout phase, the customers have options to authenticate their orders.
The Prestashop platform has a lot to offer to assure your business growth. To have a tough competition with your contenders, you can easily connect your store to social networks and get more traffic by running the SEO or by displaying your stores on a Google map. You can also advertise in your store through customers’ emails. You can build good reliability with your selling deals by letting customers to know about the evolution of their orders. Last but not the least; you can get the global exposure to your store by going international by just choosing the country from the list and a few more simple steps.
The major upgrade of the software to Prestashop 1.7 with impressive changes to the overall user experience has already created a wave in the industry. Just after a few months of this release, there comes another improvisation to the version with Prestashop 1.7.1. The key enhancements of this update are the introduction of a new ‘upgrade all modules’ button and optimized back-office navigation for mobiles.
The goal of the new ‘upgrade all modules’ button was making the transition to the new upgrade easily and less time consuming. When updates come for multiple modules, users can now update it altogether with a single-click. The back-office browsing experience has taken to a new level with enhanced responsiveness. It is optimized for mobiles and so users can browse it with ease from any of the mobile gadgets. Moreover, the shortcut keys are also revamped with an eye to make them more spontaneous.