How to install Mambo with QuickInstall
Installing mambo on Todhost is very easy. As with many other content management systems, Todhost also offers installation of mambo with QuickInstall. Use the following steps to install mambo on Todhost server.
1) Login to Todhost cPanel using your user name and password.
2) Now click on QuickInstall button. You will see QuickInstall button under the Software/Services section.
3) Click on mambo link which you will find under CMS Software section in the left side navigation panel.
4) Next click on continue button.
5) Now you need to enter the web site URL where you want to install the mambo. You also need to enter the admin email address and admin user name. Keep the Auto Upgrade check box selected to auto upgrade the mambo. Then click on “Install Now!” button.
6) You will see an installation process bar going from 0% to 100%.
7) Once the installation is complete, you will be given a username and password. Take a note of this username and password. You will need it for login to your site.
That is all. Now you know how to install mambo on your web site. Go and try the simplicity of mambo yourself.
Mambo Features and Benefits
The power of mambo stays within its simplicity. Even though mambo is very easy to use, it offers extra powerful features. Here is a list of some features of mambo.
1) Mambo provides intuitive and user friendly web interface.
2) The installation of mambo is very easy. You can easily install mambo on Linux, Windows IIS, Mac OS X and FreeBSD. Mambo offers web based installer.
3) You can easily extend the functionality of mambo through plugins, extensions and add-on products. Using these extensions, you can easily convert your web site to forum, image and multimedia galleries site, ecommerce web site or customer support web site.
4) Once mambo is installed on the server, you don’t need any technical person to manage it. Any user can manage the web site through web interface. End user can easily create, edit and delete content from the web site.
5) Mambo is available in multiple languages. Just install the language pack and you will have your site running in your preferred language.
6) Mambo is free and open source project. It is written in PHP language and uses MySQL database.
How to create a new page in Mambo
We will now take you through the steps required to add a new page in Mambo.
Login to the Admin section for Mambo.
Roll your mouse over Content and click All Content Articles
On the next page click the New button.
An Item Details menu will come up, fill in the fields as needed. Below is a description of the available fields.
Title - Enter the title for the page you are creating, it will be displayed on the top of the page.
Title Alias - What you enter here will be part of the URL.
Section - Choose what section you want this article to be in. In my tests I am choosing Getting Started.
Category - Choose if you want this article under a Category. In my tests when I chose the Getting Started Section this also updated to Getting Started.
Fill in the first large field with your Intro content. There is another Main Text field underneath, this field is optional.
Click the Save button to record your changes. You will now see your new page listed in the section you selected.
you can see the new article in the getting started section
How to Create a Contact Form in Mambo
Mambo allows you to create a contact form on your website. Here are the steps involved:
Log into your Mambo Dashboard.
Go to Components > Contacts > Manage items.
Click New at the top right.
Fill the contact details. The name field will name the form in Mambo. The name field will not show on the website. The other information will display on the Contact page unless you hide the information in the parameters on the right.
Save the changes.
Now in the Contact manager, you will see the contact form you made in the list.
Go to Menu > mainmenu.
Click New at the top right.
In the Components section, click Link - Contact Item.
On the Add Menu Item :: Link - Contact Item page, Fill in the details. In this case we are selecting the highlighted section in the snapshot to the right.
Click Save at the top right.
Captcha Activation in Mambo
Activating Captcha within the Mambo Administration Back end is quite simple to implement. Just follow these steps below.
Login to the Mambo Administration Back end
Click on GLOBAL CONFIGURATION.
Scroll down the page until you find USE CAPTCHA AUTHENTICATION.
Click on YES to activate the Captcha option.
Click on SAVE in the top right hand corner.
How to Enable/Disable User Registration in Mambo
Mambo by default will allow users to register on your website. However, from the backend, you can change this setting if you do not want to let users register.
This tutorial we will show you how to turn User Registration on and off in mambo.
Login to the Mambo Admin Panel.
In the navigation menu, roll your mouse over Site, and select Global Configuration.
You will see the Global Configuration menu. To the right of Allow User Registration, click the No option to disable, and Yes to Enable user registration. Click the Save button.
How to Login to the Backend of your Mambo Website
You have successfully installed your Mambo website and you need to login to the administrator area. Here are the simple steps:
Using your web browser, visit your website URL. You may log in from one of two places. The left sidebar has a login area, or you can simply add /administrator to your URL to go to the admin login page. (eg: example.com/administrator)
Once you have chosen which login are to use, simply enter the admin username and passwordyou created when installing the program.
Once the data is entered, click on the Login button to verify.
Once you enter the correct details, you will be taken to the administrator dashboard from where you can manage your website.
How to Boost the Performance of Your Mambo Website
Website optimization has to do with improving the performance of the website. Essentially, this will include speeding up the website and improving its presence on search engines.
In this tutorial, we look at some steps necessary to improve the performance of a Mambo website.
Enable caching for Mambo. In Mambo, this is achieved through the Global Configuration menu, from the Cache tab, set Caching to Yes.
If you are using a forum extension, make sure your visitors register prior to searching and posting in your forum. In addition, you should install a CAPTCHA plugin or enable such core functionality if present in order to protect your board from spam bots;
Delete tables that were created by extensions that have been uninstalled. Note: If you delete any of the Mambo's core tables this will render your website to be inaccessible!
How to insert an internal link in Mambo
We will do it in a step-by-step- process:
Log into you Mambo Dashboard.
Edit the page you want to create an external link in.
Select the text you want to make a link out of. Click the Insert/Edit link button in the WYSIWYG editor.
Select the page you want to link to on your site from the Link List.
The url you selected to the page in your site will display on the Link URL box.
View of Link MamboYou will see the text underlined. This shows that the text is now a link.
Click Apply towards the top right of the Dashboard.
Preview the page. You should see the text as a link now
How to add image to a page in Mambo
First, you will need to upload the image you want to add to the page using FTP or directly in filemanager(recommended).
Login to the Admin Section for Mambo.
Choose the page you want to add the image to, by rolling your mouse over Content and clicking All Content Items.
Click the name of the article that you want to add an image to.
When the article opens, click in the large field the general area where you want the image located. Then, click the Insert / edit image button.
An Insert/edit image box will popup. In the image URL field enter the address for the image you uploaded in step 1.
Then click the Insert button. You will then see the image in the content field. You can click the image and use the formatting tools on top if you want to center, or align right, etc.
Click the Save button.